Illustrated map of Werribee South a rural area bordering the Werribee River estuary. Driving through this area today is like being in an organic patchwork quilt of market gardens, with the colours of broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce areas and few patches of artichokes and onions for contrast.
At the K. Road Cliffs lookout, the river has cut down into the Werribee delta flood plain on its way to Port Phillip Bay exposing these beautiful red cliffs.
The remains of a township called Cocoroc can be seen. It was built n 1894 to service the Western Treatment Plant and soon there were 32 houses, a town hall, a football ground a swimming pool, tennis courts, four schools and a post office.
The Western Water treatment Plant was established In 1892 on 3580 ha of land west of the Werribee River. Today this has become an unlikely treasure, This is a Ramsar convention international site home to over 280 species, a premier sites for birdwatchers birds. The plants lagoons, grasslands and coast offer great habitats and plenty of food.
Werribee South Foreshore is very different. At the river end there are jetties and boat ramps, a recreation reserve with adventure playgrounds, beaches and a caravan park. At the other end of the beach is the new marina development, Wyndham Harbour, a mix of retail and residential elements and also provided 10 hectares of new parks and wetlands, coastal walk and bike paths and two new beaches.